Why Work with Us?
We want to work with people who truly want to work with us!
All staff at Prahran High School have responsibility to support, nurture and further the positive, learning culture which has been established in 2019.
This is some of what matters most for members to us. Please read these statements, in conjunction with our PHS Vision for Learning, the curriculum and our vision and values, then carefully and honestly reflect on the strength of their personal accord with you.
1. We show unconditional positive regard to our students and each other.
As adults, we model the positive, kind and respectful behaviour we expect of our students. We hold ourselves to the same standards that we ask of our students.
2. Our school culture is grounded in a genuine sense of kindness and care.
We explore this through our value of character. We have very high expectations of our students and ourselves, and we understand that students will do better in a kind, positive environment. We fundamentally believe that “happy kids learn more”. Discipline is based in relationships, restorative conversations and forgiveness.
3. At Prahran High School, students have the chance to co-create their school with us.
We strive to elevate the notion of student voice to be much more than that – students and staff are actually partners in our learning adventure. We listen to our students because we want to hear their views, ideas and questions. We know this is important and we know that it’s right.
4. Learning and teaching is approached in a consistent manner across the school, supported by a guaranteed and viable, dynamic on-line curriculum.
Teachers’ unique strengths are valued and encouraged, but we all commit to the Prahran High School way. All teachers have responsibility to develop our curriculum and there is much to be done and we do it together.
5. The very best teachers understand that collaboration is key to our success.
We simply cannot and should not work alone – collaborative team practice is how we work together. The best teachers also understand the importance of effective communication. It might seem self-evident but it’s not always the case and at Prahran High School, we are committed to accurate, respectful, responsive and helpful communication with our students, colleagues and families.
6. The world has changed, it changes all the time and teachers at Prahran High School are open to learning to ensure that we change with it.
At Prahran High School, we are committed to exploring contemporary technologies to support learning e.g. robotics, 3D printing, laser cutting. We are also open to our students guiding us in new technological directions. We are open to learning.
7. We are a proud and distinctive inner-city school and we take an inner-city perspective on how we develop together.
The school has a symbiotic relationship with our community. Students are encouraged to work alongside business and community groups to develop their entrepreneurial skills. Community members will be invited to join us in school to support the students’ learning.
8. Staff at Prahran High School are open to flexible work hours at times.
For example, to facilitate after-school sports, our Healthy Body, Healthy Mind teacher/s may agree to start later and finish later in the day. As a unique inner-city school, we are open to viewing our work together in new and responsive ways.
9. We are happy to come to work on public transport, by bicycle or walk.
There is no parking on site and this doesn’t pose an issue to staff.
10. Prahran High School is committed to being a school which develops leaders at all levels.
We seek to appoint aspirational people to our school, people who are committed to their growth, development and who aim for future leadership roles in our school and system.
11. We are (for now) a small team and we spend a lot of time together.
We work extremely hard; we support each other and we celebrate our successes and milestones. We understand that we’re a part of a major project, which involves hard work and we also make sure to have fun!