Intervention and Enrichment
Our Vision for Learning emphasises differentiated learning and the idea that all students should be offered an appropriate level of challenge.
Prahran High School offers a range of enrichment and extension opportunities for students:
- All of our core curriculum units include planned extension pathways, and all students are given the chance to attempt these programs
- Individual extension programs are also developed for students who require further extension and challenge
- Through our LIFE@PHS activities program, students can challenge and extend their learning – initial opportunities include through Tournament of the Minds, Art and Design Club, Debating, Book Club, and a Maths Extension group.
Further, through our Student Leadership team, students have the opportunity to develop new ways of challenging themselves and extending their learning beyond the classroom, and plenty of opportunities will develop in coming years.
Where students require additional learning support, we use a tiered approach to intervention that includes strategies such as:
- Team-Teaching for some core subjects, allowing for extensive differentiation and small group support
- An after school homework club, staffed by teachers
- Small group programs focusing on building core literacy skills that run alongside regular learning programs
- 1-1 Tutoring and intensive literacy and numeracy support programs
- Learning Support staff (teacher aides) are in most core classes, and provide further specialised support for students with high needs.